Thursday 14 April 2016

About Grammar Rules

==> much vs many

Rule: 
Use much if the noun is non-countable (e.g., water, sand). Use many if the noun is countable (e.g., oranges, children). 

For example: a. I don’t have much money. b. They own many houses.
Examples for much / many:
a. Phillip owns many properties in France. b. We didn’t much profit this year. c. How much money have you got? d. Sharon does not have many friends. e. There are too many students in this class. f. It doesn’t need much milk. g. We had so much fun. h. I spent many days there.

Exercises:

Decide whether you have to use much or many:

1. We saw _____ animals at the zoo.
2. How _____ oranges did you put in the box?
3. There isn’t _____ sugar in my coffee.
4. I don’t have ______ friends.
5. The old man hasn’t got _____ hair on his head.
6. I’ve packed _____ bottles of water.
7. I didn’t get _____ sleep last night.
8. How _____ fruit do you eat in an average day?

Answers:

1. many 2. many
3. much 4. many
5. much 6. many
7. much 8. much


==> A Little / A Few
Rule:
Use a little for non-countable nouns (e.g., jam, time). Use a few if the noun is countable (e.g., jars of jam, students). For example: a. I have coffee with a little milk. b. She likes a few songs by Frank Sinatra. Examples for a little / a few: a. I always enjoy a little cream and sugar in my coffee. b. Jesse has a few speeding tickets, so his insurance rate is higher than mine. c. We have a little extra time this afternoon; do you want to watch a movie? d. There were a few horses grazing in front of the barn. e. Have a little salsa on your eggs. It’s delicious! f. A few coconuts fell from the tree. One of them hit Aaron, causing him to yelp. g. I really would like a litlle peace and quiet. h. My neighbor let me pick a few peaches from his tree.


Exercises:

Decide whether you have to use a little or a few:


1. Can you please buy _______ apples.
2. We need _______ water.
3. I have _______ money left.
4. I take _______ sugar with my coffee.
5. We had _______ pints of beer there.
6. You have _______ time left.
7. There are _______ chairs in the room.
8. He only spent _______ dollars there.


Answers:

1.     a few          2.     a little
3.     a little         4.     a little
5.     a few          6.     a little
7.     a few          8.      a few



==> Some / Any

Rule:

Use some when the context is positive and any when it is negative as well as in most cases of questions.

For example:

            a.  I have some money / I don’t have any money
            b.  I put some jam in the sandwich / I didn’t put any jam in the sandwich

Examples for some / any:

a.   Would you like some ketchup to go with your fries?
b.   We don’t have any olives.
c.   I really want some striped socks.
d.   Do you have any wrapping paper?
e.   Let’s go have some fun.
f.    I’ve never heard of any of these artists.
g.   Chris found some wild strawberries growing by the side of the road.
h.   Do we have any jam or are we all out?


Exercises:

Decide whether you have to use some or any:

1.  Is there _______ milk left?
2.  There is _______ juice in the bottle.
3.  Do you have _______ coffee?
4.  I don’t have _______ money left.
5.  She has _______ money.
6.  Do you know _______ of these singers?
7.  I don’t know _______ of them.
8.  I know _______ of them.


Answers:


1.      any            2.       some
3.      any            4.       any
5.      some         6.       any
7.      any            8.       some


to be continue....












No comments:

Post a Comment