Tuesday 19 April 2016

Grammar Rules


Some / Many

Rule

Use some in a positive context when you don’t want to specify the number or quantity. Use many with countable nouns, when you want to refer to a large but indefinite number.

For example:

a. I bought some apples / I bought many apples.
b. She made some friends in NY / She made many friends in NY

Examples for some / many

a. I’m fortunate enough to have many good friends.
b. Patti found some money just lying in the parking lot.
c. How many pieces of pie did you eat?
d. Sheila bought some books at a garage sale.
e. Many types of marine life live in reef environments.
f. I’d like to buy some flowers for my mom.
g. We have so many cousins!
h. This recipe contains some dairy ingredients.


Little / Less

Rule

Little refers to non-countable nouns, and is used with the singular form. Less is the comparative form of little. Use less in comparative structures, especially before uncountable nouns.

For example:

a. I have less homework to do today than I had yesterday.
b. I have little homework to do before I leave.

Examples for little / less

a. It rained less last month than it has so far this month.
b. She has little time to spare.
c. I need to eat less butter
d. He has little interest in what others have to say.
e. It takes less time to weed the garden than it used to.
f. I have little information to share on the matter.
g. Mary sings less than she did in high school.
h. The teacher has very little patience with those who don’t study.


A Little / A Lot

Rule

Use a lot for non-countable nouns (e.g., jam, time) to indicate many, or a large number. Use a little for non-countable nouns to indicate a small number. Notice that a lot is followed by the word of (unike a little).

For example:

a. I don’t have a lot of money.
b. I owe him a little money.

Examples for a little / a lot

a. She eats a lot of marmalade each morning.
b. I’d like a little oatmeal instead of toast.
c. He spent a lot of money on hair implants.
d. Dust the pan with a little flour so the cake doesn’t stick.
e. Kids require A lot of attention.
f. I only have a little laundry to do.
g. There’s a lot of spare change in that 5-gallon bucket.
h. I need to spend a little time studying before we go out.


Few / Little

Rule

Little refers to non-countable nouns, and is used with the singular form to indicate that something exists only in a small amount or to a slight degree. Few refers to countable nouns, and is used with the plural form to indicate not many persons or things.

For example:

a. I’ve got little money left in my account.
b. Ben has few friends in London.

Examples for few / little

a. Few people stopped to listen to the preacher on the corner.
b. There is little that you can do about the situation.
c. I happen to like spiders but few others agree with me.
d. I have little time to waste.
e. Although the car is old, I have few problems with it.
f. He’s so stubborn, there’s little use in talking to him.
g. There are few cars on the road after midnight.
h. There’s little chance of rain for the next few days





No comments:

Post a Comment